Yield: 12 large or 24 small brownies
2/3 cup coffee, brewed
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
2 ounces dark chocolate (58% or darker)
2 3/4 cups (19.6 ounces) sugar
1 cup (3.8 ounces) cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups (11 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease a 9” x 13” baking pan.
3. Using a double boiler, heat the coffee, margarine and dark chocolate until chocolate is melted and ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugar, cocoa and salt with the paddle attachment.
5. Add the oil, water and vanilla and mix to combine.
6. Add the coffee mixture and mix to combine.
7. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and chocolate chips. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into squares.