Celebrate World Vegan Month with a Coupon and Tasty Recipe
November is World Vegan Month and to celebrate, GO Veggie!, formerly Galaxy Nutritional Foods, wants to share a little something special with Sticky Fingers followers and fans. It’s a coupon for $1.50 off their new GO Veggie! Dairy Free cream cheese so you can try it out this holiday season. Link to Coupon Offer:
This vegan cream cheese has a great taste and a wonderfully creamy texture. Try it out in our Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (*recipe below).
What are you waiting for? Go claim your coupon and get cooking. If you want more from GO Veggie!, including the inside scoop on new products like their new dairy free and vegan shreds and slices (!!!) be sure to like them on Facebook, and follow them on Twitter. Enjoy!
Recipe: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Yield: Makes 12 large or 24 small whoopie pies
3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda1 tablespoon ground cinnamon2 teaspoons ground ginger1 teaspoon ground cloves1/2 teaspoon nutmeg1/2 teaspoon allspice2 cups (14 ounces) brown sugar, packed1 cup vegetable oil3 cups canned pumpkin 1 tablespoon egg replacer (recommended: Ener-G)1/4 cup water1 teaspoon pure vanilla extractCream cheese frosting, recipe to follow
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together brown sugar and oil with the paddle attachment until well combined.
5. Add pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water.
7. Add egg replacer and vanilla to the pumpkin mixture and mix until well combined.
8. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, about a cup at a time, and mix until fully incorporated.
9. Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
10. Transfer to oven and bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of each cookie comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.
Cream Cheese Frosting:1/3 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (recommended: Earth Balance)4 ounces non-dairy cream cheese, softened (recommended: GO Veggie!)1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar1 teaspoon vanilla extract1/2 teaspoon lemon juice1 to 2 drops of lemon oil (optional)
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the shortening until smooth.
2. Add cream cheese and beat until well combined.
3. Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon oil and beat just until smooth. (Frosting can be made in advance. Cover and refrigerate, but let stand at room temperature to soften before using.)
To assemble: Transfer filling to a pastry bag. When cookies have cooled completely, pipe a large dollop of filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, pressing down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edge of the cookies.